Level 3: Go By Bike! Get There on 2 Wheels
Class size is limited. If the class you want is "sold out," put yourself on the wait list for that class. As spots in the class open up, I will contact you to offer you a spot in the class.
You’ve been riding your bike for a long time. You ride frequently, sometimes for long, scenic rides, sometimes to grab something from the store, sometimes to work. You think of yourself as a competent bicyclist, but…
- You avoid certain roads
- You take the long way so you don’t have to use big intersections
- You get honked at
- Cars pass you too close
- You have too many “close calls” and you’re not sure why
In our Level 3: Go By Bike: Get There on 2 Wheels class, you’ll learn to use a bicycle with confidence to run errands, get to work, exercise, or just be more comfortable biking around town. This class will expand your bike handling skills and give you a solid foundation of safe cycling principles and practices to be applied in various climate, terrain, and traffic conditions. This class is for people who have successfully completed Level 2: Road Ready: Bike Handling Boot Camp, or by instructor permission. If you believe you have a basic command of riding a bike, contact me to see if you can jump into Level 3: Go By Bike: Get There on 2 Wheels.
The class is a mix of classroom instruction, bike handling exercises, and group/solo rides where you will learn how to:
- Properly fit your bike and helmet
- Do a safety check on your bike
- Handle your bike confidently and effectively (starting, pedaling, braking, shifting gears, riding with one hand, looking over your shoulder, signaling turns)
- Perform emergency hazard avoidance maneuvers
- Ride on trails with courtesy
- Follow principles of traffic law
- Use your rights and responsibilities as a road user to safely get where you want to go
- Identify road and traffic hazards, and how to avoid them
- Hack traffic flow patterns to your advantage
- Position yourself on the road to deter the mistakes of others
- See and be seen
- Communicate with other road users
- Use street-smart strategies to make your ride more efficient, direct, safe, and FUN.
During the last session of Go By Bike, we will go on a 7-mile guided ride on the trails and roads of Redmond. During this ride, we will ride as a group to several road and traffic features, which you will then ride through solo, with the support and guidance of me and your classmates.
Don't have a bike? No problem. You can borrow one for me for just $30. Just let me know if you need a bike.
Bike helmets are required for this class (with exceptions for certain religious head wear). Don't have a bike helmet? No problem. You can buy a CPSC-approved bike helmet from me for just $20. Just let me know if you need a helmet. You can also buy one from any bike shop.
Now for the fine print....
I get it. Life happens. Sometimes your plans change. That's OK! My cancellation policy is simple:
- 100% refund if you cancel more than 14 days before the start of your class.
- 50% refund if you cancel 7-13 days before the start of your class.
- No refund if you cancel less than 7 days before the start of your class, so do your best to make sure your schedule allows you to take all 3 sessions of the class.
- No refund if you don't show up to class.
- No refund if you miss a session of the class. There are no "make-ups" for missed sessions.
Classes will run when a minimum of 8 people sign up. If not enough people sign up for the class you're in, I will cancel the class and be very sad. :( If I have to cancel a class, I'll let you know no later than 2 days before the class was to begin. I will also give you a 100% refund on all class fees for the cancelled class.